Bushman’s Kloof is a unique reserve combining wilderness, wellness, history and comfort in a pristine natural setting.
Situated 270 kilometers from Cape Town in the Cedarberg Mountains, this 7500 hectare reserve has been proclaimed a South African Natural Heritage Site, within the Cederberg Wilderness Area.
The reserve offers many attractions.
Luxury Holidays near Cape Town
Bushman’s Kloof Wilderness Reserve was voted one of the world’s best hotels in 2009. What makes it so special?
In addition to the world class accommodation in an unspoiled environment, guests are invited to relax in the spa, where a variety of treatments will soothe away city stress. The Cederberg is a malaria-free zone with pollution-free air. Gourmet meals and an award-winning wine list ensure that body and soul are cared for equally.
Other activities offered include hiking, mountain biking, fly fishing, swimming in the natural rock pools, canoeing, archery and croquet.
Visit Rock Paintings
Bushman’s Kloof is one of South Africa’s richest areas for rock art, with over 130 Bushman rock art sites. A resident archaeologist leads tours to the caves where these mysterious paintings can be found, and introduces visitors to the ancient culture of the indigenous people and the spiritual meanings of their paintings.
Visitors can learn more about the archaeology of the area by visiting the collection of San artefacts in the Heritage Centre. Specialist guides are on hand to give talks on the history of the San people, noteworthy aspects of Bushman’s Kloof Reserve, and on the Cedarberg Wilderness Area as a whole.
Specialist guides take visitors on game drives. This reserve, which is predator free, is a sanctuary for endangered wildlife and flora. From late July to early September the veld explodes in a rainbow of colour as millions of spring daisies bloom after the winter rains.
Visit these other interesting sites in the Cederberg Area:
- Wupperthal: visit the craft village & historic Moravian mission station.
- Clanwilliam Museum: rich in Anglo-Boer war memorabilia.
- Cederberg Wilderness Area: Bushman’s Kloof is just one of the reserves in this wonderful Wilderness Area.
- Biedouw River: for those who enjoy fly-fishing.
- Lambert’s Bay: this charming fishing village has a famous surfing beach and a world famous seabird colony.
- Goue Vallei Wine Cellars: offers tour and wine tasting for oenophiles.
- Cederberg Private Cellars: visit the Cape’s highest altitude vineyards and taste their unique wines.
- Rooibos Tea Factory: visit the factory shop in Clanwilliam, home to this health giving natural tea.
- Cederberg Heritage Route: Enjoy one of the three “slackpacking” hiking trails, where all , accommodation, meals and transport are provided. Popular are the Rock Art Trail and the Donkey Cart Trail.
A visit to Bushman’s Kloof Wilderness Reserve caters for body, soul and mind. It is an unforgettable experience.