When it comes to an area steeped in the past yet embracing the present, there are few places like the South Carolina Low Country. It is comprised of 4 South Carolina counties – Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper. These counties include such famed locations as Hilton Head, Edisto Beach, Parris Island and Daufuskie Island. The area offers a plethora of family friendly activities, ranging from golfing, fine dining and shopping and plenty of outdoor adventure.
Low Country Places to See
As a region rich in history there are many great locations to soak up the atmosphere. Here are a few places that can be enjoyed by all.
- Beaufort Arsenal Museum- A great place to learn about the Civil War’s affects on the area. There are artifacts, assorted displays and exhibits on regional history.
- Low Country Estuarium- This is the only “museum” of its kind in America. There are hands-on learning exhibits that focus on the coastal environment’s salt marshes, beaches and estuaries.
- Tuskegee Airmen Monument- At Walterboro Army Airfield Memorial Park this monument serves as a reminder of the bravery of this brave group of pilots. The site was also used as a POW camp and hospital.
- Brunson’s Famous Town Hall- Called by Ripley’s, “The only town hall on stilts”, the building is one of the landmarks of the Charlestown and Western Railroad. While the town hall is no longer on stilts, it is still a unique historic location.
- Steam Engine No. 7- Once used by the Argent Lumber Company, the 1910 engine was used until 1957.
- Hampton Museum and Visitors Center- For Civil War enthusiasts, this is a must-see location. There are military artifacts, medical equipment and even a children’s room. In addition, local craftsmen and artisans have continuous rotating exhibits.
Low Country Things to Do
There are so many things to do in the Low Country, that it will take several days to do it all. But when planning a trip, be sure these activities are on the itinerary.
- Spend some time at the beach. This is by far one the most popular and family-friendly activities in the area. Whether it is catching some rays, enjoying the waves or casting a fishing line, the beautiful coastal waters offer hours of enjoyment.
- Bluffton Artist Guild- Find a unique piece of artwork for the living room, some beautiful handmade pottery or one of kind jewelry while strolling along with this Bluffton gallery.
- Great Swamp Sanctuary- From hiking and walking trails to a canoe/kayak trail, beaver ponds and duck ponds, butterfly houses to animal feeding stations, the Sanctuary is the ideal way to spend some time in nature.
- Edisto Beach State Park- From hiking to camping, playgrounds to picnics, or boating to ocean fishing this is just the place for an outdoor adventure.
- Palmetto Dunes Resort- Spend a day here exploring specialty shops, fine dining and a myriad of unique activities and attractions.
- Bluffton Bike Trails- Bring one from home or rent a bike then explore the Old Town Bluffton along the 25 miles of bike-friendly trails.
- Tour of Walterboro- Known for its many historic homes and buildings, follow the signs that lead guests throughout this charming Southern town’s many antebellum homes. There are four sites that are listed on the National Registry of Historic Homes. Stop by the Walterboro Visitors Center for brochures and information.
The Low Country of South Carolina has many other delightful places. So grab a camera and comfortable clothes and set off on an island adventure. With so much to do, it may take a few well-planned trips, so don’t delay in making plans.